Publishers across Canada are invited to submit picture books for the annual Elizabeth Mrazik-Cleaver Canadian Picture Book Award (the Cleaver Award). The Cleaver Award is given annually in recognition of outstanding artistic talent in a Canadian picture book. The recipient receives a cheque for $1,000 and a certificate. An award ceremony to celebrate the winner is held each year.
The Cleaver Award is administered by a committee of three members of IBBY Canada. The jury members for the 2017 award are Lyne Rajotte (chair), Camilia Kahrizi, and Carol-Ann Hoyte.
- The recipient of the Cleaver Award is a Canadian illustrator of a picture book published by a Canadian publisher in English or French between January 1, 2017, and December 31, 2017.
- The book must be a first edition and contain original illustrations by a Canadian artist (either a citizen or permanent resident).
- All genres are considered: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and folk and fairy tales.
- If a book has been submitted in previous years, the book will not be eligible for consideration. Translations are not eligible.
- A copy of each submitted title is mailed by the publisher to each of the three committee members. Please contact Lyne Rajotte for the addresses of the committee members.
- There is a $20 fee for each title submitted to the Cleaver Award. For example, if you are submitting two titles for consideration, you will mail one copy of each book to each of the three jury members and a cheque for $40 to IBBY Canada’s head office. The fee is non-refundable, even if your submission is determined to be ineligible, so please read the submission guidelines carefully. This fee will be used to offset administration costs as well as costs associated with the presentation of the award.
Please send a cheque made payable to “IBBY Canada” with “Cleaver Award fee” on the memo line to:
c/o The Canadian Children‘s Book Centre
217-40 Orchard View Blvd.
Toronto, ON M4R 1B9
Please ensure that your submission fee arrives no later than December 1, 2017. Deadline for mailings to jurors is December 15, 2017.