Please join us for the IBBY SILENT BOOK EXHIBIT: a celebration of wordless picture books from around the world and the right of every child to become a reader. The exhibit will be open from March 21 to April 14 at Hamilton Public Library.
Please also join us for a Welcoming Ceremony on Wednesday, March 30:
- 6:00 – 6:30 pm: Welcome and Acknowledgements
- 6:30 – 7:00 pm: Mariella Bertelli, IBBY Canada (International Board of Books for Young People), speaks on the history of the Lampedusa library and how wordless picture books can be enjoyed by all, regardless of language. Central Library – Living Room.
The exhibit is open for viewing in Hamilton from March 21 – April 14, 2016, with the following schedule:
- March 21 – April 1: Central Library Children’s Department , 55 York Blvd, Hamilton
- April 4 – 8: Hamilton Wentworth District School Board Education Centre, 20 Education Court
- April 9 – 14: Hamilton Public Library, Terryberry Branch, 100 Mohawk Road West
Accompanying the exhibit are two activities for children of any age – Write a Postcard (to the children of Lampedusa) and Create your own Silent Book (make and take your own silent book using the supplies provided). Activities are available during open hours for the duration of the exhibit.
This international traveling exhibit features over 100 of the most notable wordless picture books in the world, and is part of the children’s library that is been created by IBBY Italia for Lampedusa, Italy. The Lampedusa library is to serve the many refugee children – and local families – arriving from Africa and the Middle East.
Sponsored by Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Toronto.